About this Manual
This user manual contains all the information you will need to initially install and run the at-line sampling module for a Lonestar system.
This symbol is used to highlight a section explaining particularly important safety considerations
©2011 Owlstone Ltd. All rights reserved. Owlstone Ltd provides this user manual to its customers to use in the Product operation. This manual is copyright protected and no part of this publication may be reproduced, transmitted, transcribed, stored in a retrieval system or translated into any language or computer language, in any form or by any means, without the prior written permission of Owlstone Ltd.
Swagelok® is a registered trademark of Swagelok Company.
Owlstone Ltd makes no representations or warranties, either expressed or implied, with respect to the contents hereof and specifically disclaims any warranties, merchantability or fitness for any particular purpose. Furthermore, Owlstone Ltd reserves the right to revise this publication and to make changes from time to time in the contents hereof without obligation of Owlstone Ltd to notify any person of such revision or changes.
Notice of Proper Use of Owlstone Ltd Instruments
The supplied system is in compliance with international regulations. If this system is used in a manner not specified by Owlstone Ltd, the protection provided by the system could be impaired
Visit the Owlstone website (www.owlstonenanotech.com) for up to date contact details and service support:
For general inquires please email firstname.lastname@example.org
127 Cambridge Science Park
Tel: +44(0)1223 428200
Fax: +44(0)1223 428201
400 Rella Boulevard
Tel: +1 845 533 4225
Fax: +1 845 533 4232
Service and Maintenance
No user serviceable parts. Please contact your Owlstone representative for details of the return and repair procedure.
Recycling and Disposal
This Product has been designed and manufactured with high quality materials and components, which can be recycled and reused.
This product is required to comply with the European Union's Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive 2002/96/EC so should not be disposed of in normal waste; Dispose of as electric waste or consult Owlstone Ltd for details of our recycling program for this product.
For users outside the European Union consult local authorities for correct disposal or contact Owlstone Ltd.
This warning label indicates parts of the product that will become hot during use. Please take care.
CE Declaration of Conformity (DoC)
OWLSTONE Ltd performs complete testing and evaluation of its products to ensure full compliance with applicable domestic and international regulations. When the system is delivered to you, it meets all relevant electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) and safety standards as described in the declaration below.
OWLSTONE Ltd declares under its responsibility that the electronic product AT-LINE SAMPLING MODULE is in conformity with the following standards:
EMC Directive 2004/108/EC
The AT-LINE SAMPLING MODULE system complies with the following standards:
- CR47: 2006 Class A Code of Federal Regulations: pt 15 Subpart B – Radio Frequency Devices – unintentional radiators
- EN61326-1:2006 Electrical equipment for measurement, control and laboratory use – EMC requirements, Group 1, Class B equipment (emission section only)
- EN61326-1:2006 Electrical equipment for measurement, control and laboratory use – EMC requirements, Industrial Location Immunity (immunity section only)
- EN61000-3-2:200 Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) – part 3-2: Limits – Limits for harmonic current emissions (equipment input current up to and including 16A per phase)
- EN61000-3-3:1995 (+A1/A2) Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) – Part 3-2: Limits – Limitation of voltage changes, voltage fluctuations and flicker in public low voltage supply systems for equipment with rated current <= 16A per phase and not subject to conditional connection
Low Voltage Safety Compliance
This device complies with Low Voltage Directive 2006/95/EC.
Changes that you make to your system may void compliance with one or more of these EMC and safety standards. Changes to your system include replacing a part or adding components, options, or peripherals not specifically authorized and qualified by OWLSTONE Ltd. To ensure continued compliance with EMC and safety standards, replacement parts and additional components, options, and peripherals must be ordered from OWLSTONE Ltd or one of its authorized representatives.
FCC Compliance Statement
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class A digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference when the equipment is operated in a commercial environment. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instruction manual, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. Operation of this equipment in a residential area is likely to cause harmful interference, in which case the user will be required to correct the interference at his or her own expense.
Caution: Read these operating instructions fully before use and pay particular attention to sections containing this symbol
Always observe the following safety precautions:
- Only connect to an earthed supply socket. THE MAINS ADAPTOR IS CLASS 1 CONSTRUCTION AND MUST BE EARTHED (GROUNDED)!
- Ensure the mains outlet is easily reached to disconnect the unit
- Use only the supplied mains adaptor and leads supplied
- The equipment is heavy; use the handle provided to lift and carry the unit
- Always disconnect the equipment from the mains supply before moving
- This equipment is for use in moderate climates only. NEVER use the equipment in damp or wet conditions
- Avoid excessive heat, humidity, dust & vibration
- Do not use where the equipment may be subjected to dripping or splashing liquids
For the Sample Stirrer Module:
- Do not switch on until you have checked that the Voltage Selector switch is set to your local mains voltage and that the correct fuse is being used.
- Do not change the fuse or remove any covers with the mains inlet lead connected.
- Do not plug or unplug any stirring heads while the Control box is switched on.
- Do not use the stirring heads at temperatures above 50°C.
- Do not use the stirring heads in corrosive liquids.
- Do not stand items being stirred on the control box. A spillage of water into the mains inlet connector could cause an electrical shock hazard. If this occurs, switch off the mains supply and unplug the lead from the supply.
The AT-LINE SAMPLING MODULE system can be used with a wide range of samples, some of which could be toxic or harmful. On heating these materials, flammable or toxic gases may be released.
The AT-LINE SAMPLING MODULE system is not a fully sealed unit, therefore for this reason it is essential that the user conduct a risk assessment for the substances to be used in the AT-LINE SAMPLING MODULE and establish safety protocols to cope with the release of such materials under the normal operation of the unit.
These protocols must include suitable installation (e.g. in a fume cupboard, provision of extraction, etc.) and operational procedures to protect the operator.
Materials with a fire point in excess of 183 °C must not be used in the AT-LINE SAMPLING MODULE.
Check chemical compatibility: Materials in the flow path include PTFE, stainless steel, aluminium, silicon, graphite, circuit board and Viton®. Ensure test atmospheres are neither corrosive nor reactive with materials in the flow path. If in doubt please contact an OWLSTONE representative using the contact details provided.
Installation and Location
The three components together, unpackaged, weigh ~ 12.2 kg; please take care in handling to avoid injury.
Before using the system, ensure that all power cables are intact with no damaged insulation or frays.
Ensure that the LONESTAR instrument and AT-LINE SAMPLING MODULE are placed on a solid, level surface, which is able to support their weight
Only use the OWLSTONE supplied power supply
Ensure cabling is routed behind the system, at bench level, posing no risk of tripping. Ensure all cables are detached from the LONESTAR instrument before attempting to move the unit
The LONESTAR instrument gets warm during operation. Handle with care and ensure there is adequate ventilation around the system
Do not place in space that is poorly ventilated or confined. Allow at least 50cm clearance from walls and free flow of air around the system
Do not place near flammable materials